Thursday, June 1, 2023

CMBA Profile: The Silver Screen Affair

 

Each month, the CMBA profiles a classic movie blog written by one of our members. This month, we’re featuring Emily Hernandez, who writes at The Silver Screen Affair .

CMBA: Why do you blog?

Emily: I started blogging back in 2011 as a way to connect with other old movie fans and to get my wiggles out. I have loved oldies since I was very young and found that I had no outlet to share my passion. After a few years I stopped and my blog was dormant until last year. I started up again because I still have that passion to share my knowledge and I enjoy writing about the stars, the sets, the studios, and all the fun facts I have acquired over the years.

CMBA: Besides classic movie blogging, what are some of your other passions?

Emily: My other hobby is sewing. I have an Etsy shop where I sell vintage inspired pieces. I also love the beach, road trips, old cars, and baking. 

CMBA: If you could program a perfect day of classic movies for TCM, what would be the seven films on your schedule? 

Emily: My TCM line up would have no theme. I would just want to play some solid films I love that I think everyone should see. In no particular order I’d choose Now, Voyager, My Man Godfrey, It Should Happen To You, Thrill Of A Romance, Mildred Pierce, Double Indemnity, and The Women. 

CMBA: What is a classic movie that you love, but most people don't know about -- and what do you love about it? 

Emily: I love the film Blonde Comet from 1941. It stars Virginia Vale and Robert Kent. It’s a small production film about a girl race car driver that stands up to all the boys. I love old cars and my husband drag races as a hobby, so this film checks off the boxes. It’s an action film but finds a way to have style. It also has a great meet cute between some of the characters.

CMBA: What is something that most people don't know about you? 

Emily: A silly story starts off with my grandparents who lived in Arizona. Their neighbor happend to be Don Ameche. My grandmother, being a big fan, would go over there to try to chat with him and ask him for a cup of sugar now and then, but I never got a sight of him when I visited as a kid. When he passed away his son asked my grandparents if they needed an extra refrigerator as they were going to just get rid of it. So my grandparents obtained the fridge and used it in their garage.  When my grandparents passed away the fridge was put in storage and later on when I needed one it came to me. I would tell people at parties that I had Don Ameche’s fridge and nobody cared. But I thought it was awesome! 

--------------------
We thank Emily for participating in our Q & A profile and encourage you to visit The Silver Screen Affair! 

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your profile, Emily! Any list that includes The Women, Mildred Pierce and Double Indemnity is aces with me. What's the name of your Etsy shop? I'd love to stop by. I'm on there, too, at Kim and Karen's Patio. Do you still have Don Ameche's refrigerator? That is the coolest! (No pun intended.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you came back to blogging! Its such a great way to connect and learn and share. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Karen! My Etsy shop is The Fashion Parade, I will have to check yours out as well. And no, the Don Ameche fridge is no more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an old movies fan I love every blog you list here.

    ReplyDelete